Thursday, February 4, 2010

Para servirles


2/4/10

Something that really gets me going in Guatemala. They introduce themselves as your server, su servidor. Hi I´m Miguel Festa, para servirle. ¨To serve you¨...What the...?


So I know it´s been awhile...but I promise to make this a goodie. Hopefully this video loads of me doing a zipline back in December. Shows your ¨server¨ in action doing a zipline superman style, acting like an idiot, showing great views of the famous Lake Atitlan, and showcasing why I have never nor will ever take a video production class. My cameraman skills are not exactly Scorcese-esque...Enjoy, and even more incentive...You come, we can do that...Your heart will be out your chest!

So to update you all on the last few months. Spending the first Christmas away from the family was an experience, and honestly I had a blast. They celebrate Noche Buena (The Good Night) which is Xmas Eve with dancing, tamales, and more dancing. Let´s just say your servidor was shaking his dreads (?) until 4am on a street corner with friends and (new) family. Speaking of my new family, they have truly integrated me as a part of theirs, and it made the Holiday celebration quite amazing. Then we wrapped up the month of January with our town festival. The dancing continued...

Before the Holiday season I hiked one of the Volcanoes that I have actually already done (however this time to camp). I went with my family and a few friends, namely this newest addition to my family, little Tahoe:

The trip was incredible, cold, and the pictures at sunrise were mind-blowing. Enjoy:

Me at sunrise on the top of the volcano -- looking down on MY volcano, Pacaya


Sunrise

Me and the family

Standing at the summit

So the last month of January was quite a hoot. I have been working pretty hard, and things are getting better and better as I start to gain more and more trust with my co-workers and more of a grasp of the local language. The main projects that I am going to be focusing on for the rest of my service will/might/should/could be the following:

1. Reforestation: Remember when your server couldn´t wait to transfer from Forestry at Cal Poly to Recreation and Tourism. Well, it´s all come full circle because...let´s say it ¨I´ve become a tree hugger¨. Not a hippy wearing, dreadlock rasta dancing with my hackeysack kind of tree hugger. More so, an environmentalist who loves trees. I guess I´ve just become fascinated working in the tree nursery we have and seeing the whole process a tree takes. So this last year we planted over 23,000 trees...and I´m proud to say I helped plant, organize, maintain, and kiss/hug every single one of these trees. Ok, I´m over exaggerating a little.

But I am trying to double our tree production with the opening of a new tree nursery and we´re focusing on Cypress, Pine, Oak, Cedar, Jacaranda, Mahogany, and several other native species...

My host sister Polly planting a Cypress tree on one of our hikes in the Park

2. Environmental Education: I don´t see anything more important than this in my service. Teaching the kids the importance of the environment -- to what triggers a hurricane, what is deforestation, how to recycle, why we need to conserve our water sources.

Basically you step foot in my Guatemalan pueblo you will see trash everywhere, waste water just flowing through the streets on their way to your wonderful rivers and then oceans, and farmers carrying loads of fresh cut wood for their fires. This is a HUGE project, and it won´t happen overnight, in 2 years, or in 5 years. But attack the problem at it´s root..THE KIDS! Wish me luck

3. Guides: The tour guides in the Park are some of the most sustainable workers we have. I can train all the Park staff, but if this mayor loses re-election they all get canned...and return to their corn fields. So that´s a big challenge, especially since we are such a popular National Park, their treatment of tourists is VERY important. But working with the guides, as that is my passion, is very important. Guiding with them, helping them improve their tours, and yes (reluctantly) teaching them English. It´s time Miguel swallows his pride (teaching English sucks) and just focus on expanding their vocabulary past ¨Youlike?¨ and ¨Izz ok?¨

Me guiding middle school kids up the volcano

4. Youth Group: This project is my baby. So let me explain it to y´all because I´m sure none of you care. We have this HUGE hill (made of volcanic sand) and everytime I take tourists (fellow volunteers) up here we storm down running as fast as you can. If ya fall, you get dirty, but not bloody. So it´s fun to fall. Here´s the catch...in Nicaragua, Peru, and Chile they have Volcano Boarding Projects (like sandboarding) that have been very successful and charge alot of money. Yet Guatemala doesn´t have one?? Hmm...So me and a good buddy of mine have designed and built a wooden board (kind of like a sled) and we are in the works to design more of a sand board prodigy to get this project off the ground. Many political boundaries to cross but I'll let you know how it works out...

My work life does not come close to ending there, as I am constantly helping out my counterpart (the Administrator of the Park) in running the Park staff...I compare it to managing hissy fits with 5 year old kids (he said/she said). I also throw a helping hand in swinging my machete with the campesinos, cut coffee, help with English homework, plant vegetables (I have chard, onions, and basil), work in the tree nursery, promote the following phrase to everyone I meet "necesita ir a la escuela", teach people how to recycle, teach people how to compost, and oh yeah hike the volcano at least once a week. So what´s a day in the life of Miguel Festa. There ya go people...Come see for yourself if you´d like...

Oh and I play with my dog alot. This picture worked out perfect that my buddy Pancho shot in front of the Che mural in my house. Notice Tahoe biting my hand


I think that´s enough from my end...Love ya, enjoy your hot showers, get off Obama´s ass, and stay warm.

Speaking of Haiti, I will throw in this blurb. Check out what Partners in Health has done in Haiti and continues to do. They are one of the most sustainable development agencies in the world because they train locals and leave them in charge of running the project (in this case public health). The Director Paul Farmer presented a very interesting case to the US Congress about how to seriously and honestly rebuild this country. Click the link if you´re interested

And if you´re thinking of donating...this would be the best organization to donate to. Have a fantastic day...

No comments:

Post a Comment